Here’s another quick clip from Bil’s “Master Production series on how to avoid a “safe” vocal performance by adjusting the headphone mix.
Capturing a great vocal takes more than a great mic…
It takes a great producer who pays painstaking attention to the subtle details of inflection, diction, and conveying emotion. Clients like Alison Krauss, Ralph Stanley, and Bob Dylan have all trusted grammy-award-winning Bil VornDick’s direction to:
1. Find the mic that best compliments the artist,
2. Focus on which lyrics best “paint a picture” for
3. Coax a heart-felt, emotional performance in a studio
4. Tailor the headphone mix to give a solid tonal
base for intonation,
5. Work with background vocalists to construct harmony parts
that perfectly compliment the lead,
…and much, much more!
Throughout the Vocal Production videos, you’ll watch one-on-one interviews with Bil including tips and techniques on everything from pre-production to mixing. This is your chance to learn from one of the industry’s most respected and legendary producer/engineers!